[ale] Back to new the desktop question

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 10:14:18 EST 2022

It's quite common from my hardware looking to have NVME and sata ports on
the Mobo. Some monster boards have dual NVME.

Data science stuff is bottle necked first by ram, then by IO. But on a
single node, the ram is the only real issue.  Carve out /tmp from that NVME
drive and use fast SATA for large data source. Depending on the board, it
might be feasible to use onboard SATA raid. With original data source on
backup medium, use raid0 to max SATA performance. Dig into the board docs
to see how many pci channels are dedicated to SATA ports and stuff in
drives until combined drive bandwidth just bumps into the pci bandwidth.
Search and seek times will happen during pci control data times if you're
lucky. That's where a sustained data copy-in from external source can help.