[ale] Slightly OT: recommendations for VOIP/SIP to replace POTS

Bob Toxen transam at verysecurelinux.com
Thu Dec 1 18:08:05 EST 2022

See inline.

On Tue, Nov 29, 2022 at 08:10:27PM -0500, DJPfulio--- via Ale wrote:
> On 11/29/22 16:33, Bob Toxen via Ale wrote:
> > (Since thanks to this group I got Brother scanning from Linux to work
> > it doesn't matter much, though FAXes are secure and unencrypted email
> > is not.)

> Only as secure as the POTS network and all the non-POTS connections
> between you and the receiving fax machine ... which is likely to be
> an email address since most businesses, especially small businesses,
> just pay for a fax service to keep a number and forward the faxes via
> unsecured email.
POTS is FAR more secure than unencrypted Internet traffic.

> BTW, I use fax to deal with the govt whenever possible.  Last thing I
> want is any govt to know either a phone number or email address for me.
> Anything they need to say, needs to be delivered by USPS or with a knock
> at the door.
HaHa.  You make joke.  The Feds already know your bank account numbers,
phone numbers, and email.  They were listening to your domestic and int'l
phone calls and reading your email.  Snowden revealed that but it was
known before that.  Don't know about now.

If you don't pay your taxes the IRS (and many state tax authorities;
I can confirm Cali and Massachusetts) will just reach into your bank
account and take what they want.

If you have a dispute contact your U.S. Congressthem or Senator.
Besides pushing back (usually successfully) it will prevent the IRS from
taking any action against you until the matter is resolved.

Bob