[ale] State of text based email programs?

Héctor Abreu habreu71 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 08:30:42 EDT 2022

> Héctor Abreu via Ale said on Sun, 24 Apr 2022 10:08:01 -0400
>
> >I use neomutt with fetchmail everyday. I experienced some problems with
> >OAUTH2 recently but managed to find a workaround to avoid using that
> >authentication method.
>
> Please share your workaround. I use fetchmail to download from three
> gmail address every 3 minutes, and would love to hear how I can address
> this later on, when non OAUTH2 clients become pumpkins.
>
> SteveT

The fetchmail users' email list recently discussed 3 options to address the
OAUTH2 problem:

1) fetchmail version 6 is supposed to take care of OAUTH2 with the aid of
third party patches. Some users have expressed it works, some users have
expressed it stops working after a week or so.

2) fetchmail 7 is supposed to take care of OAUTH2 without the need of any
third party patches... but it's in Alpha and there is no release date for
Beta yet. I think users have expressed mixed results experimenting with it,
too.

3) You can keep your current version of fetchmail as is but add a mail
service that won't force you to use OAUTH2.

I chose option 3 in order to keep all my GMail addresses working with
fetchmail and neomutt. I just find it easier and it just works:

1) I chose an affordable email service that won't force me to use OAUTH2. I
picked noip.com because it offers a free email address, and POP3 service
for $9.95 per year, so I chose the 1 year plan. There are other good mail
services like posteo.de and mailbox.org

2) I setup all my GMail accounts to forward to the free email address I
created at my new mail service.

3) I setup fetchmail to pull emails from the new email service instead of
GMail directly. I distribute one local Inbox for each forwarded GMail
address using maildrop, but I guess some people do everything in one single
Inbox.

4) I setup one .muttrc for each local forwarded GMail Inbox, obviously with
"set from" using the GMail address value but "set smtp_url" using the new
email service value.

The only minor problem I'm having is that I forgot how to configure in
order to avoid the frequent problem of my contacts telling me "Oh, your
email went to my Spam folder" the first time they receive an email from me
with this setup, but then they just whitelist me and the problem is gone. I
think it's because their email servers complain about my emails with "set
from" using GMail value but my actual email server is a different one.

I think I will eventually get rid of "free" services like GMail and Yahoo
and their email addresses, and keep my new email address with a service
that gives me choices rather than forcing me to use what they want.

Cheers,

Hector.