[ale] MXLinux install issues

Scott McBrien smcbrien at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 07:00:15 EDT 2022

It’s not marketing per se.

Storage vendors use tens to calculate size of storage.  So 8G is 8000M or 8,000,000 K or 8,000,000,000 Bytes of data.

However computers, using binary, don’t count my tens, but instead powers of two. So in computer parlance, 8G is 8192M or 8,388,608 K or 8,589,934,592 Bytes.

So if we take the storage manufacturers number of bytes, but use 1024 to uplevel it,
8,000,000,000 Bytes
7,812,500K
7629.39 M
7.45 G

To address this differential, the National Institute KD Standards and Technology (NIST) uses two units of measurement.  The K,M,G units still refer to power of ten based measurements. However for those things that use a binary measurement, we use KiB (KibbyBytes), MiB (MibbyBytes), GiB (Gibbybytes) etc.  So the storage manufacturer’s 8GB is correct, the file reporting from the ftp server or ls or whatever should be 8GiB.

I’ve seen newer file tools on Linux use the correct standard unit abbreviations.

-STM