[ale] Print vs electronic: Was: Remove systemd network handling

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Mon Sep 27 17:53:42 EDT 2021

Good information Liam, thank you!

Yeah, I carried 1st edition "The C Programming Language" by K&R, in my
backpack, for about 10 years, kept taping it up as it fell apart, and
finally it just shredded and I bought the 2nd edition.

I'll carry a $20.00 book to the beach, and if somebody rips it off or
it gets sand or water on it, oh well. I couldn't say the same thing for
a $400.00, 8x10" reading device, which is how big you'd need to make it
to even hope that the graphic and the text referencing it are on the
same page.

I'm writing a diagram-heavy book right now, to be sold as a 3"x5"
PDF, and entire pages are consumed by a single diagram. I wonder if,
for every order, I should produce an additional 8.5"x11" copy.

The obvious solution, ePub, is impractical right now because LyX
outputs atrocious HTML and therefore  atrocious ePub, and I haven't yet
found a tool chain good enough to write the kinds of books I write,
output to ePub. But this could change.

Thanks for your input.

SteveT

Leam Hall via Ale said on Sat, 25 Sep 2021 20:07:24 -0500