[ale] Missing photo

Scott Plante splante at insightsys.com
Mon Sep 27 15:05:06 EDT 2021

I didn't find it at all surprising or hard to understand why Linus wouldn't
be keen to attend yet another black tie event. I just found it
humorous considering the penguin character so closely associated with him
and his OS is named Tux and the quote referenced him not wanting to wear a
tuxedo. I guess that juxtaposition didn't strike others as funny as it did
me.

I've owned two tuxedos (plus a black-tie kilt!) and used to wear them
regularly to various events, although it's been quite a while now since I
have. Back then I wore suits or at least jackets & ties most days
consulting and enjoyed nice clothes. These days I'm rarely out of jeans or
shorts and generally avoid getting dressed up.

Before my first black tie event as an adult, I was complaining about having
to go rent a tux, and an older colleague asked if I really wanted to wear
clothes probably recently worn by a horny teen going to prom? He suggested
buying a tux isn't that expensive. I bought one, and ended up experiencing
some interesting social events I never would have if I'd had to go through
the hassle of renting a tux for each of them, so in that respect, I think
it was worth it. I don't mention this in regard to Linus, but as a general
note to any younger members of this list for the next time they need a tux
and are considering renting.

Scott