[ale] Remove systemd network handling

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Sep 24 19:10:06 EDT 2021

Solomon Peachy said on Fri, 24 Sep 2021 18:19:24 -0400

>On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 11:37:21AM -0400, Steve Litt via Ale wrote:
>> OK, by all means: Systemd isn't a killer robot, it's just an
>> attractive nuisance. My original assertion, which you have not
>> refuted in the slightest, was "Handling things we don't need handled
>> is what systemd is best known for."
>
>Ah yes, because you personally have no use for <X> it has no possible
>value to anyone else.

Not needed because there were already great solutions.

>> LOL, I hear systemd has its own method of doing home directories now.
>> It's a familiar refrain: Nobody was dissatisfied with the way home
>> directories worked, and now here comes systemd with a "solution" to
>> the home directory non-problem.
>
>You clearly know nothing of what you speak.

Thank you!

>And based on what my $dayjob did just _yesterdat_, encrypted user data
>is a way to help comply with quite a bit of government regulation (and
>CYA) to help prevent unintended data exfiltration when you have shared
>use of individual computing resources. Certain national governments
>across the pond REALLY get pissy about unauthorized access to medical
>data, and *not even system administrators are considered authorized*
>without prior written approval.

Am I to understand that encrypted directories on shared machines wasn't
doable before systemd? I'm pretty sure that LUKS, GnuPG, LVM, and
several other tools that you can mix and match for the type/degree of
encryption you want, existed before started their home directory thing.

To save us all time, I'm going to snip a lot of your responses that
were more personal than factual...

[snip]

>> and also as if having things start on need was a thing anymore
>> (in most situations), now that $600.00 computers have the power to
>> run *a lot* of processes.
>
>This is a particularly absurd argument.
>
>Just because you might need to drive somewhere in a few hours doesnt'
>mean you'll leave your vehicle(s) running constantly.  Just because
>you might cook something tomorrow doesn't mean you leave your oven
>running overnight.

Yeah, if my vehicle used a drop of fuel per hour and put out no
pollution, yes I would leave it running all the time, especially if the
alternative required installing complicated equipment on my vehicle. 18
wheeler drivers leave their trucks on for hours at a time to keep their
engines warm with oil flowing and battery charging.

[snip]

>> Would you like a tickertape parade for solving an immense problem?
>
>I'd rather spare the trees and instaead accept $150/hour to solve
>other peoples' problems.

Your response certainly shows how much you value free software and want
to contribute to it. And who in 2021 would write a document on printed
paper?

SteveT

Steve Litt