[ale] IP over USB

Phil Turmel philip at turmel.org
Mon Sep 13 10:16:39 EDT 2021

Yes, Ethernet.  All of the cheap USB3 ethernet devices I have support
auto-MDIX, so no, crossover is likely not required.

If you do no setup, most distros will automatically recognize the
adapter and attempt DHCP, falling back to Link-Local IPv4 addresses.
With the two machines side by side, that is probably sufficient.

I would define static IPs w/o gateway in a netplan yaml file, matching
on the Mac ID of the adapter.  That would make SSH happier (known hosts
entries).  (I like Ubuntu's netplan.io configuraton tool.)