[ale] Flame war topics

Michael Potter pottmi at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 20:19:28 EDT 2021

IPA (india pale ale) got its name because the extra hops preserve the beer
on the trip to india.  Preservatives work in these ways:

1. Remove water so bacteria dry out before they can digest the food
(dehydration)
2. Add sugar so the sugar will pull water out of the bacteria and kill it.
(jams)
3. Remove bacteria so there are no bacteria to digest the food
(aseptic packaging)
4. Add salt for same effect of sugar (bacon)
5. Add "poison" to the food (lute fisk - norweigen fish with lye added)

I liken adding extra hops to beer to adding lye to fish.  Even the bacteria
don't want to digest it after they "poison" it with hops.