[ale] Arch Linux anyone?

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Wed Mar 24 20:51:21 EDT 2021

On 3/24/21 6:21 PM, Jonathan L. Meek via Ale wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 11:54:07AM -0400, David Jackson via Ale
> wrote: I have heard of Arch Linux but haven't quite understood it.
> Would mind telling what pulls you to use Arch Linux as a daily
> driver? I am honestly curious, not trying to start a flame war on the
> internet :-D.

I used Arch for about a month. To me, Arch feels like Slackware, but
with a package manager.  The install can be brutal. Being asked about
every tiny package to be installed is some I don't miss about
Slackware.

In that month, only one thing I considered core to my needs failed.
It was due to some dependency issue - one project team decided to
upgrade to a newer version of some core libraries and the others
didn't get the memo.  Perhaps it was a 1-time thing, but it left a
bad taste. Bleeding edge comes to mind as the term. Within about a
week, the other teams move their stuff to the newer release and it
seemed fine.

If I were a developer and didn't work in a corporate environment and
didn't care what any corporate teams needed, then I'd run Arch. I'd
also have a non-Arch system for use outside my dev needs; for things
that have to work all the time.

I did enjoy the old-Unix feel to the system and having all the control
I could stand. But that can be approximated without the bleeding on
other, less volatile distros too.

After only a month, I'm positive I didn't gain all the skills with
the distro that could have reverted and solve problems quickly.

We all have to decide where we'd like to spend our time. I often say,
I did my bleeding edge time with Linux in the 1990s and don't care for
a repeat.