[ale] Well, goodbye pfSense... need some hardware recs

James Sumners james+ale at sumners.email
Tue Mar 16 13:12:32 EDT 2021

Today Ars posted an article about Netgate sponsoring the addition of
Wireguard to the FreeBSD kernel. The headline had me excited, as I use
pfSense and would love drop the OpenVPN config on it. But reading the
article[1] it becomes clear that Netgate did not do their due diligence.
They seemingly were okay with committing garbage code to the kernel just
to get a bullet point on their product. That alone is enough to make me
look at alternatives (currently thinking opnSense). But reading through
the comments reveals this gem --
https://lists.zx2c4.com/pipermail/wireguard/2021-March/006499.html

Short version: I'm definitely dropping my usage of pfSense and will
never recommend it to anyone again.

Given that decision, I want to go ahead and replace my agent router
hardware. Currently have a Celeron system with a spinning fan. I want
something fanless with m.2 drive support. A wide temperature range
rating is also ideal as my rack is technically in an unconditioned
space.

So question: anyone know of any 1u cases <24" deep that could mount a
PCEngines, Qotom, or other board? Bonus points for ports being front
mounted.

My current case is https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A7NBO6E. I could
re-use it, but I'd also like to repurpose it into a Docker server.

[1] --
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/03/in-kernel-wireguard-is-on-its-way-to-freebsd-and-the-pfsense-router