[ale] FreeRADIUS and trusted CA on Android 11 on Pixel

Edward O. Holcroft eholcroft at mkainc.com
Sat Mar 13 08:29:56 EST 2021

Just closing the loop on this as I finally got it resolved. In the end
switching the certificate was literally as easy as copying it to a folder
and changing the references. The showstopper ended up being the GoDaddy
private key, which they had encoded with UTF-8 BOM. The moment I figured
that out (thanks to a forum posting somewhere) and changed it to UTF-8,
everything just worked, after almost two full days of pain.

So now our BYOD Pixels running Android 11 can access using WPA-PEAP again,
with a publicly signed certificate in place. Other phones do not seem to
have this issue yet but I'm pretty sure it's coming.

Now I have a philosophical question though. Can someone explain to me why
Google forcing me to use a third party certificate is more secure (since
that is their argument) than using my own internal CA? My gut says this is
bullshit. How can ANY third party system be more trustworthy to me than my
own private certificate system? IMHO I should be able to place my internal
CA as a trusted root authority on Android (which I cannot do without
rooting the device, which is not possible in this case since these are the
privately-owned devices of end-users) and then use my own certificates in a
self-contained, 100% trusted ecosystem that relies on no outside third
party.

I'll be happy to have someone explain how I am missing the point here.

ed

--
MADSEN, KNEPPERS & ASSOCIATES USA WARNING/CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This
message may be confidential and/or privileged. If you are not the intended