[ale] Getting rid of VMware

Tod Fassl fassl.tod at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 08:47:14 EST 2021

Yes, I'm in academia. The ISCSI array has 8TB. It's got everybody's home
directory on it. We did move a whole bunch of our stuff to the campus
VMWare cluster. But we have to keep our own file server. And, after all,
we already have the hardware, four 24-core machines, that used to be in
our VMWare cluster.  There's no way we can fail to come out ahead here.
I can easily repurpose those 4 machines to do everything the virtual
machines were doing with plenty of hardware left to spare. And then we
won't have to pay the VMWare licensing fee, upwards of $10K per year.

For $10K a year, we can buy another big honkin' machine for the beowulf
research cluster (maintenance of which is my real job).

Anyway, the current problem is getting that ISCSI array attached
directly to a Linux file server.