[ale] Getting rid of VMware

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 18:13:05 EST 2021

That sounds like the hardware nodes supports the iscsi protocol or the base hypervisor layer from vmware is doing the iscsi connection. Probably the later.

Either way, you're going have a challenge unless you can get details on the iscsi  contents. You'll need to tie each virtual drive to it's correct device. Otherwise virtual machine A gets the drive space of virtual machine B.

From ESX you can get the UUID string of the virtual drive used by that linux vm.

I would use that vm now as just a source for a backup. Then restore to the new hardware machine running a base install with restore bits. The iscsi array will still need a partition to use for the hardware linux. I doubt vmware will make this easy.

Un-virtualizing the drive on an iscsi array sounds like lots of pain. Retire first.

Computers amplify human error
Super computers are really cool