[ale] ale.org is moving! DNS change needed.

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 09:11:53 EST 2021

As many know, the hosting of ale.org bits and services has been from my home on a VM for quite some time. The data connection was using Comcast Business class that while rock solid for years was certainly expensive.

I recently shifted my home networking to AT&T Gig Fiber for WAY less money. It's bandwidth is not as reliable, a few hiccups, and no one seems able to provide me the actual static IP addresses I pay extra for monthly. I want a credit for services not provided and I'm talking with clueless people. (I expected this but was hopeful it would work out. It's been 5 months....)

As the Comcast contract ended, the monthly cost exploded (x2!!!) with apparently no recourse but a new contract.

So a new dedicated host is provisioned in Montreal with ServerMania for a really decent price and good bandwidth and capacity. ale.org will have a new VM with base OS easier to keep wordpress php upgraded than Centos 7.

Robert has worked to migrate existing content to the new hosting and we are ready to make the transition.

So.... It's time for a DNS party! Mike Warfield is the current DNS provider. I don't think anyone else needs to jump in unless there's a reason to change DNS hosting. But maybe a greybeard ale meeting is a good thing anyway. Probably virtual. Covid stinks.
--
Computers amplify human error
Super computers are really cool