[ale] local fileserver to cloud replacement?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Mon Mar 1 19:23:34 EST 2021

On Mon, 01 Mar 2021 18:00:03 -0500
Jim Kinney via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:

> Snark alert
>
> On March 1, 2021 4:02:43 PM EST, Solomon Peachy via Ale <ale at ale.org>
> wrote:
> >On Mon, Mar 01, 2021 at 03:48:49PM -0500, Brent Laminack via Ale
> >wrote:
> >> Our organization wants to move about 3.5Tb of data from a local
> >> file
> >server
> >> (windows server 2012 R2) to a cloud-based solution. We want to use
> >>
> >OneLogin
> >> for SSO and provisioning. What would you recommend? Office
> >> 365/Sharepoint/OneDrive? Google Workspaces? Box? Nextcloud? any
> >> recommendations or anti-recommendations would be welcome. Thanks,
> >
> >Questions:
> >
> > * How many folks need to get to it
> > * Using what mechanism(s)
> > * Write-once, or more adhoc?
> > * Who manages accounts?
> > * Privacy (/regulatory) requirements
> > * Reliability requirements
> > * Bandwidth/performance requirements
> > * Budget
> >
> >In other words, "why are you moving it outside your firewall?"
>

> Because a beancounter read an article about how everything is moving
> to the cloud and having that on the resume looks good for the next
> job.
>
> I love that feeling of permanence knowing if I don't pay on time
> every month it all shuts down. And mounting a filesystem over the
> interwebs is screaming fast (if the user experience is discounted).

AAAAAND:

I love that feeling of security knowing that the vendor will back up
regularly, with total restoreability, as if the data were their own.
And the fact that I can back it up locally on a 100MBps Internet line
at 80 seconds per Terrabyte *if* nobody else is using your Internet
line and if every single cable, device and router between you and them
is capable of 100mbit. If not, it's nothing a few hours of rsync will
do it. The vendor won't charge much for your traffic, right?

Also, it your data is sensitive, you can relax, knowing that the
vendors' server farms in the nation of Northwest Barfalonia, where
privacy laws are nonexistent, will vet all their employees and prevent
them from looking at your data (and blackmailing you).

SteveT

Steve Litt
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive