[ale] HDD Disposal/Recyling near Sandy Springs?

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Sun Jan 24 12:06:59 EST 2021

Thanks,

1) Is this open to non-residents?  (I'm in Fulton)

2) It says "for a fee"?  Any idea what the fee would be?  (yes, I know I
can call myself)

I suspect the Morgan Falls recycling center might be closer, if they
accept electronics like HDDs.  Or is there a refurbisher that might want
them?

-derek

On Sun, January 24, 2021 12:00 pm, Lists wrote:
> https://www.cobbcounty.org/keep-cobb-beautiful/recycling/recyclable-items
>
> Geoffrey Myers
>
>> On Jan 24, 2021, at 11:59 AM, Derek Atkins via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>>
>> HI Alers!
>>
>> I've got a pair of 5+yo HGST 4TB drives that I recently replaced due to
>> SMART errors (specifically Reallocated Sectors, unreadable (pending)
>> sectors, ATA error counts, etc).  These drives were in my FreeNAS box,
>> and
>> have both been replaced.
>>
>> I have re-run badblocks on both drives, and most recently did a dd
>> /dev/zero, in order to "wipe" the drives of any data.  I am now looking
>> at
>> ways to dispose of the drives, as I don't think I can use them for
>> anything (but I'd be happy to learn otherwise).
>>
>> Due to their age (over 45000 hours power-on, over 5 years since
>> purchase)
>> they are most likely out of warranty.  But I don't want to just toss
>> them
>> in the trash if there is a more environmentally friendly way to dispose
>> of
>> them.
>>
>> I live in Sandy Springs, if that makes a difference.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> -derek
>>
>> --
>>       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
>>       derek at ihtfp.com             www.ihtfp.com
>>       Computer and Internet Security Consultant

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745