[ale] HDD Disposal/Recyling near Sandy Springs?

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Sun Jan 24 11:58:52 EST 2021

HI Alers!

I've got a pair of 5+yo HGST 4TB drives that I recently replaced due to
SMART errors (specifically Reallocated Sectors, unreadable (pending)
sectors, ATA error counts, etc).  These drives were in my FreeNAS box, and
have both been replaced.

I have re-run badblocks on both drives, and most recently did a dd
/dev/zero, in order to "wipe" the drives of any data.  I am now looking at
ways to dispose of the drives, as I don't think I can use them for
anything (but I'd be happy to learn otherwise).

Due to their age (over 45000 hours power-on, over 5 years since purchase)
they are most likely out of warranty.  But I don't want to just toss them
in the trash if there is a more environmentally friendly way to dispose of
them.

I live in Sandy Springs, if that makes a difference.

Any suggestions?

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745