[ale] Really cool new hardware

jonhall80 at comcast.net jonhall80 at comcast.net
Mon Jan 18 23:41:35 EST 2021

All,

I have not really inspected the ISA for RISC-V to see if there were any instructions that were "designed for Linux" other than the normal instructions that would be there for almost any modern operating system for things like atomic operations, etc.

Since RISC-V is a RISC computer, I would expect the instructions to be as simple as possible and allow the compilers to do optimization to make the chip run very fast.

On the other hand, as you to up the stack of things necessary for speed, such as good design for cache, data transfer, etc. I would hope that the architects were able to jettison lots of legacy features that are not necessary in a completely new architecture that would not be needed for backward compatibility, and instead build in compatibility with 16-bit, 32-bit, 64-bit and 128-bit instructions.

On the other hand, to talk about a BOARD that is "Linux compatible" I could see lots of things that would make it "Linux friendly", such as hardware interfaces for I/O that would be published and available to software developers, boot code that would have the sources published, having the ability for the kernel to interact with hardware interfaces built into the system, and the ability for hypervisors to work well with the board, again leaving behind some trade-offs done for previous operating systems.

This is not to say that these other operating systems will not change over time to take advantage of this new hardware, it is just that some of the legacy stuff will be left behind.

Just my thoughts on this.

md