[ale] End of year digital clean up?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 13:01:54 EST 2021

On January 4, 2021 12:49:05 PM EST, DJ-Pfulio via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>I've had my list of new-year digital cleanup tasks for
>about a decade, but it can always be improved.

Indeed!

>What do you do every year to clean up your data, email, photos,
>documents, ebooks, backups, retired credentials?

Create a new email folder called "last year" and dump all old email into it. Set outgoing autoreply to "I'm sorry but all the email from prior to today was deleted by court order. Unless I have your address on an approved sender's list this will be forwarded to the FBI, NSA, and Microsoft for analysis". Delete all folders named "last year" because it has a space in the name.

>How do you find these things later?

Why would I even want to? New year. New ways to lose things things. Last year was a total wash anyway so a complete failure of all hard drives and backups actually sounds plausible now. Purge like it's a new eating disorder diagnosis! Digital vomitus. It's better than the 'rona and you can always claim "fog brain made me do it".

Computers amplify human error
Super computers are really cool