[ale] Another bites the dust

Calvin Harrigan calvin.harrigan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 14:50:57 EST 2021

On 2/25/2021 14:43, Jim Kinney via Ale wrote:
> I had similar issue at the Best(worst)Buy in Tucker. Needed specific
> RAM for a thinkpad purchased at that store by my client. I called the
> store to verify stock. Drove over, found a clerk to help locate the
> package by sku. Verified sku and specs on ram label with their website
> claiming it was the part for the box. Paid and left with ram and receipt.
>
> Of course it didn't work. Box refused to boot with new ram installed.
>
> Went back for verification, swap for correct, or refund.
>
> Manager accused me of stealing the ram and argued no refunds allowed
> on opened items. I'm showing the receipt dated 1 hour earlier with
> serial numbers matching. I'm pointing out the clerk who helped. The
> clerk is corroborating my story with the correct research prior to
> sale. He calls police. So did I. My client was a police chief. Both
> arrived onsite about the same time. Police exchanged greetings,
> manager looked pale, I looked furious, refund occurred. Police agreed
> to notify corporate as this was a common thing at this store.
>
> I went back in a week later only to see if anything had happened from
> the police complaint to BB. All new manager and tech team.
>
> I still will only set foot in there if I'm morbidly curious as to why
> they still exist. I will never spend money in there again.
>

> On February 25, 2021 2:26:37 PM EST, Steve Litt via Ale <ale at ale.org>
> wrote:
>
>     On Wed, 24 Feb 2021 09:35:10 -0500
>     Chuck Payne via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>
>         Please take a moment and lower your heads, as we pay respect
>         to Fry's. As of today, they have shut down.
>

>     The only Fry's I ever went to was the one in the San Fernando Valley
>     near Los Angeles. This Fry's routinely accused honest customers of
>     shoplifting, often with the police being called. I heard it happened so
>     much that the police drove the accused half way around the block and
>     let them out of the car.
>
>     Here's my PERSONAL experience with Fry's in the San Fernando Valley:
>
>     I needed a certain make/model of tape drive. They had many packages of
>     that make/model, and some of the packages had a tape inside the shrink
>     wrap. They appeared to be the same price as the ones without the tape.
>     I asked the salesman if there was any difference between the ones with
>     and without the tapes. He said "yeah, some have tapes."
>
>     So I grabbed a package with the tape in the shrink wrap, checked out,
>     paid for it, and headed for the door. That's when things went bad...
>
>     Their security guard took the package out of the bag, ripped the tape
>     out of the shrink wrap, shoved it in my face, and shouted "what's
>     this!!!!"
>
>     For about 5 seconds, I reacted like I acted at 18 when the cops caught
>     me drunk bicycle riding with a pint of gin in my back pocket. My brain
>     said "damn, I'm in trouble now!"
>
>     Then I remembered I was 47, not 18, and I'd paid full price for the
>     package, and it was THEM, not me, who put the tape in the package: I
> [...]

Best Buy is a hot mess.  They haven't quite figured out what they want
to be.  The whole online thing has hit them hard and it shows.  Most
places do not stock many items. About the only thing you can get for
sure are sometimes TVs, but almost everything else is hit or miss.  I
should note that they tend to have store specific models of popular
brands so you can't directly compare prices.  Can't say that I'm a fan.