[ale] So, who do we like for a new 4 port gigabit LAN/WAN Firewall Routers these days?

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Thu Feb 25 09:48:30 EST 2021

On 2/25/21 2:27 AM, Raylynn Knight via Ale wrote:
> The Linksys, D-Link and NETGEAR devices are all likely running
> ancient versions of Linux with known vulnerabilities.   The D-Link
> unit uses a SOC that is no longer supported by its vendor.
>
> A better choice in the Ubiquiti line is the EdgeRouter 6P, but it is
> more than double the cost of the EdgeRouter 10X.  The 10X and the
> ER-X both use the same MediaTek MT7621A Dual Core MIPS processor used
> in a lot of wireless routers.
>
> Ubiquiti has a better track record of updating there firmware than
> any of the other 3 vendors by a large margin.

+1.  Of the consumer router vendors, I'd only consider Asus. They were
held accountable by the FTC for poor security and have a 20 year
mandate to be audited. Appears they've taken that mandate and have
become a Best Practice vendor for security.
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2016/02/got-asus-router-home-read
Of course, doing that costs more, which is why Asus routers aren't
cheap.