[ale] Monitoring Solutions

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 08:09:17 EST 2021

Nagios ( free, work to setup but it works ), Nagios XI ( Paid, does
scaning, has all the plugins, and easy to use ), Zabbix ( Have to have SNMP
setup ), Zennos, Check_MK ( I love this one, python base checks, graphs,
and auto-creates checks. ), BigPanda and Greylogs ( Syslog that alerts,
works great).

Of you want to really punish yourself, ELK Stack. It's good but it takes a
bit work to it up. I have seen a company use Zabbix with four servers, one
for ELK agents to sent in logs, the two other as catch points, with the
four as the main server.

On Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 8:01 AM Jim Kinney via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:

> Ah, yes, zabbix. Couldn't recall that one. It's supposed to be an easier
> install for large environments. Python based.
>
> On February 24, 2021 7:58:29 AM EST, Scott McBrien <smcbrien at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Woah, Big Brother.  Nice 1997/8 throwback!  Mmmm, Perl.
>>
>> Nagios is still in use a lot of places and has a lot of plugins.  But
>> it’s a bit dated for UI, and I don’t know how much development is still
>> going on it.  I’d check out Zabbix.
>>
>> -STM
>>
>> On Feb 24, 2021, at 7:47 AM, Jim Kinney via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>>
>> Nagios, prometheus & grafana. The kewl kidz use grafana for plots and
>> alerts and prometheus for collection. Good combo for making custom
>> dashboards.
>> "Back in the day" I used BigBrother. It got bought out and went closed
>> source and vanished. The open source replacement was big sister.
>>
>> On February 24, 2021 4:08:14 AM EST, Leam Hall via Ale <ale at ale.org>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Working on my career skills, and I need to add a monitoring solution. Is
>>> Nagios still the first choice in open source options? I need to learn
>>> server, network, and application monitoring to beef up a challenge area
>>> in my Site Reliability Engineering skill set.
>>>
>>> Happy Wednesday!
>>>
>>> Leam
>>>

>> --
>> Computers amplify human error