[ale] [EXTERNAL] Re: Sorry

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Tue Feb 9 11:29:19 EST 2021

On Tue, Feb 09, 2021 at 03:39:07PM +0000, Beddingfield, Allen via Ale wrote:
> Sort of like ATX, MATX, etc.... case standards.
> THAT is how I want all things to work.  It will never happen, though.

Yes, it will never happen, as the market has overwhelmingly spoken in
favor of non-modularity.

Sure, we have ATX and other case standards, but the overwhelming
majority of "PCs" sold today are laptops.  Even in the "desktop" space,
the volume is in (barely-expendable) non-standardized small-form-factor
stuff, with the "modularity" pushed entirely outside the case to USB
and/or thunderbolt ports.

Modularity is both more expensive and hurts performance.  A more
integrated design will always be cheaper to produce (in volume) and at
an equivalent price point, perform better.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			      pizza at shaftnet dot org (email&xmpp)
                                      @pizza:shaftnet dot org   (matrix)