[ale] What divides Linux Distros?

Tod Fassl fassl.tod at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 19:41:32 EST 2021

My opinion is that the #1 reason that there are so many distros is that
most human beings are incapable of suppressing their egos. Oh, there are
other reasons as well. I have gone out and poked around for a distro
that is optimized to run on a 486 in character mode. But I would guess
that anybody who has actually worked in the open source community would
agree, people just want to roll their own. It takes a strong, compelling
reason to get most developers to take somebody else's code and improve
it rather than starting from scratch. People don't want to get involved
in existing projects, they want to start their own.

I mean, I've seen people refuse to work on an open source project
because they didn't like the name. Debian, that's a stupid name, why
would I work on that? [That's a made up example but it captures the point.]