[ale] [EXTERNAL] Re: What divides Linux Distros?

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Mon Feb 8 09:35:56 EST 2021

On Mon, Feb 08, 2021 at 08:22:44AM -0500, Steve Litt via Ale wrote:
> Hell no! Allen called Poettering an "arrogant and deranged fool", and
> that's a very supportable position. As far as arrogant, please see
> minutes 24:00 to 25:00 of:

No, it's not supportable, justifiable, _OR_ okay.

The guy gets *death threats* for having the audacity to write Free
Software and (successfully!) convincing other folks to adopt it.  Note I
said _convincing_, not _coercing_.

It. Is. Not. Okay.

Don't like software he wrote? Don't use it.  It's all Free Software, and
you're free to write or maintain stuff that you think is "better", and
convince others to go along with you.

And you are doing a _very_ piss-poor job of that!

> Search for the word "complexity". And don't *even* try to make an
> argument that this interview pre-dated systemd --- the point is that
> Red Hat was looking for complexity to turn into profit. They found that
> complexity with systemd.

 "Q: Do you think the Red Hat model would apply equally well to other areas
     of software?

    "Red Hat's model works because of the complexity of the technology
    we work with. An operating platform has a lot of moving parts, and
    customers are willing to pay to be insulated from that complexity.

    "I don't think you can take one finite element - like Apache - and
    make a business out of it [using our model]. You need product
    complexity.

Sure, RH's model only works when there's a minimum level of overall
complexity.  So what?

There's no need to introduce complexity for its own sake; the users and
customers already do that for you with their ever-increasing demands,
forcing the creation of new tools to better handle those needs.

Meanwhile, you do realize that *everyone else* adopting systemd,
reducing the operational difference between major distros, actually
*reduces* lock-in and training needs, making it *simpler* to switch to
Red Hat's competition?

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			      pizza at shaftnet dot org (email&xmpp)
                                      @pizza:shaftnet dot org   (matrix)