[ale] 10.1.10.1 Comcast access from local LAN? (Slightly OT BUT there is Ubuntu AND PI involved!)

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Mon Feb 8 07:58:39 EST 2021

HI,

On Sun, February 7, 2021 9:03 pm, Neal Rhodes via Ale wrote:
> I appreciate all the responses to date, and need a bit of time to absorb
> them.
>
> I have implemented the port forwarding and UFW firewall as outlined,  as
> the initial tests seem to
> imply that it works.  It's annoying that Comcast cannot port forward
> port 643122 to port 22; it can only forward port 22 to port 22.   So I
> have some bozo attempting ssh showing up in the UFW logs every 2
> minutes.

There is no port 643122.  Max port number is 65535.

Having said that, you SHOULD be able to forward arbitrary ports, but it's
certainly possible that comcast would limit the forwarding.  I cannot
answer for them.

> I needed the solution to look totally pristine, and retain the current
> very clear perimeter between LAN and the outside world.   Anything that
> looks like it is piercing that perimeter is just not going to fly with
> the folks I have to live with.

You technically have two borders:
* outside comcast
* between comcast and cisco
* inside cisco

Personally, I would consider comcast to be your perimiter between outside
world -- although I can also see how you could consider "between comcast
and cisco" to be a DMZ.

In most security infrastructures I've seen, getting from LAN to DMZ is
allowed, but getting from DMZ to LAN is not.  Just adding a 10.1 address
to the cisco would generally do that.

> The Jacktrip clients are singers living in homes with random IP
> addresses every time something reboots.  So, thus far I'm reasonably
> happy with this solution.   Just finished getting the low-latency kernel
> rebooted, and we're focusing on coordination and audio leveling for use
> next Sunday.
>
> Once I get some time I will try to digest all the responses, but I'm not
> sure I'll get to the point of understanding enough Cisco to create a
> parallel 10.1.10.X and make that work.

Unfortunately I don't own or manage any cisco equipment (except for an IP
Phone) so I can't tell you the commands to use to do this.  I am fairly
confident that you CAN do this.  If you had a Unifi device I could tell
you how to do it :)  It might be as easy as just literally adding another
IP address to to the device.  For example, see
https://community.cisco.com/t5/networking-documents/how-to-configure-multiple-ip-addresses-on-an-interface/ta-p/3132716
 or possibly
https://community.cisco.com/t5/routing/how-to-assign-multiple-ip-addresses-to-a-cisco-router-interface/td-p/3217747

Good Luck!

> regards to all,
>
> Neal

-derek

> On 2021-02-07 13:56, Boris Borisov via Ale wrote:
>> Assuming :
>>
>> 1. You don't want to touch Comcast device.
>> 2. Cisco has VPN.
>>
>> You can create VPN from Ubuntu server to the Cisco with static IP
>> address in same network as office LAN is aka 192.168.1.250.
>>
>> Then add static route in Cisco to access 10.1.10.1 using that static
>> 192.168.1.250 for gateway.
>>
>> And eventually NAT in Ubuntu server to get the traffic from
>> 192.168.1.250 to the default gw.
>>
>> On Sun, Feb 7, 2021, 14:11 Alex Carver via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>>
>>> If you know the IPs of the Jacktrip boxes outside and inside then
>>> just
>>> whitelist them (after putting everything on the Cisco with multiple
>>> IP's
>>> on its WAN as suggested).  You don't need to allow someone on the
>>> other
>>> side of the planet to access it.
>>>
>>> Another thing to investigate would be either SSH tunnels or private
>>> VPN
>>> to tunnel the Jacktrip data.  Any remote Jacktrip device would need
>>> establish the tunnel into your network (through a single port using
>>> keys
>>> and passwords) and then the Jacktrips can see each other as they all

> [...]

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745