[ale] What divides Linux Distros?

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Sat Feb 6 10:07:37 EST 2021

On 2/6/21 2:10 AM, Steve Litt via Ale wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Feb 2021 20:55:50 -0500
> Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I LIKE systemd. Best tool yet for getting a ton of crap running on a
>> huge array of bare metal and virtual. About as complex as tar.
>>
>> Some people just can't wrap their head around and bitch nonstop.
>
> Try runit. Or s6.

I'm not a fan of systemd, but why would I change distros just for a
different init? I'm still waiting for PulseAudio to work and struggle
to make systemd do what I want beyond pre-installed stuff. I miss the
days of init.d/ scripts - at least then I could tell when something
would be run.

And don't get me started about how systemd has screwed the fstab and
made running fsck 100x harder by removing the touch /forcefsck
capability.

Still, some things aren't worth it to me. There may be hundreds of
distros, but in the business world, there are maybe 5. Trying to
suggest running anything except one of those 5 is counter productive.
What do those 5 distros all have in common?  They use systemd and they
are the most popular distros.  I'd have just as much luck pushing a
BSD desktop - i.e. none.

Sure. I can understand that some people can and will avoid systemd.
That's great.  Let me know when one of those 5 most-popular distros
drops it.

Redhat/IBM giving away RHEL for small needs is both good and bad for
Linux. It is sorta like how Microsoft nearly gives away MS-SBS.  As
soon as a small company's needs outgrow about 50 users, they are
already trapped. Trapped by current skills. Trapped by comfort.  And
it will make every school training IT people use RHEL, so all those
people will run it at their homes. Brilliant, just like a drug dealer
with "the first taste is free" promotions.

IMHO.