[ale] Slow Ubuntu desktop login

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Fri Feb 5 17:19:08 EST 2021

On 2/5/21 1:46 PM, Leam Hall via Ale wrote:
> Okay, yeah, a 2 core Dell 960 is assumed to be slow. However, this
> one seems really slow. Running Gnome/Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS, mostly
> vanilla desktop install.
>
> I can hit "escape" on boot and get it to show the process
> initialization. After that, it blanks out. About 30 seconds later I
> see a mouse cursor, and then at about 45 seconds the window login
> screen appears.
>
> Is there a way to see what it's doing? Or is that expected from
> Gnome on a 2 core box?

systemd-analyze
systemd-analyze blame
systemd-analyze critical-something ....
That's for boot stuff.  Beware, it isn't 100% factual - RTFM.

If you hit ESC while Ubuntu is booting, you should see the dmesg output.
But I don't reboot often enough where 2 minutes matters to me.

I have no idea what a Dell 960 is and don't feel like looking it up.
Gnome3 is a hog. It is heavily GPU dependent. Pick a better DE or
don't use any DE if you care about speed. Stay with a pure WM-only
environment.

Ubuntu's default desktop is for people with a current GPU, current CPU,
and sufficient RAM. Low-end and older systems need not bother. Snaps
have made a huge negative boot and RAM problem for default Ubuntu
installs.

For 100% noobs to Linux, Linux Mint seems to be a better, less confusing,
option.  They don't have multiple package types and aren't pushing more
snaps with confusing constraints onto their users like Canonical is.
Almost every day, I see someone ask why program X can't access storage Y.
This is due to snap constraints almost always. Plus, snaps have issues
with NFS, but very few typical home users have NFS.