[ale] What divides Linux Distros?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Feb 5 16:17:20 EST 2021

On Fri, 5 Feb 2021 13:50:43 -0500
Leam Hall via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:

> Besides some of us not liking systemd, is there a real reason for so
> many Linux distros? Outside of "because we can", I mean.
>
> Not putting anyone down, I just wonder what would happen if we joined
> efforts a bit more.
>
> Leam

Millions of reasons.

People who use Slackware LOVE the fact that it has no dependency
pulling in its package manager, and that they can and in fact are
forced to install necessary dependencies when installation of what they
want terminates for lack of the dependency. Those guys get exactly the
dependencies they want and nothing else.

I've tried Slackware, and to me something where a single program's
installation can take 20 minutes is just plain obnoxious.

A distro called Gobo Linux installs each program in its own tree, like
the ancient DOS programs did. I would love that, except they also
refuse to make the slightest outreach to people with less than 20/20
vision: their print is tiny and low contrast, like dark blue on
slightly darker purple. And when called on it, they say "fix it
yourself", as if I can see it well enough to fix it.

The Debian-Users mailing list is full of argumentation and putdowns.
Debian's movers and shakers have some sort of constitution they brag
about, yet they use that constitution to rig elections on substantive
issues. Wholly apart from systemd, for this reason I wouldn't go with
Debian.

Red Hat? Nope. They're trying to complexify Linux for profit.

Ubuntu is a wonderful way to start out in Linux, and I recommend it to
all my newbie buddies.

But for me, I like Void Linux because it dispenses with all the Ubuntu
railings and safety features, giving me direct access to all the
dangerous dials and levers.

Too bad Arch went systemd, because until then they were the most close
to the metal no-compile distro there is: Closer even than Void. And Arch
documentation is the best there is.

But maybe you want to get closer to the metal than Arch or Void.
Gentoo's documentation is almost as good, and you have installation by
documentation to tailor make every program to your exact wants. But you
need to have a fast computer and lots of time. Same with Funtoo.

Like Gentoo but don't want to compile on initial installation?

Devuan is Debian minus the arguments, hypocrisy and systemd. It's an
excellent choice for the bright noob not wanting the extreme
safety-belting of Ubuntu.

Mint? Too bad Clem said on the Mint website that those supporting
Israel shouldn't use or contribute to Mint. He later apologized on his
personal website, but never in 13 years has Mint apologized on the Mint
website. Some distros have philosophies you might not like.

Refracta is a pretty darn cool offshoot of Devuan with a lot of
innovative ideas, including a simple roll-your-own live CD maker.

There are Christian Linuxes that might appeal to one who is strongly
Christian.

There's reportedly "Apartheid Linux" for white supremacists.

Some distros are made specifically to be good container OSes. There's a
Ubuntu derivative created just to simplify professional sound (who
hasn't failed several times trying to install and use Jack)?

Some distros are rolling release, with up-to-the-second software.
Others play it safe, with stable systems that are 2 years old before
seeing the light of day. Some distros have guaranteed long term stable
releases so you don't need to upgrade for a long time.

There are pretty Linuxes appealing to those who must be aesthetically
pleased, and ugly Linux for those of us who refuse to compromise any
functionality for "pretty".

I've hardly begun to scratch the surface.

I am soooooooo glad there are lots of Linuxes. That way we each get
exactly what we want. I use Void as my main OS, and often boot System
Rescue CD to test Linux compatibility or rescue data. Sometimes I use
Devuan in Virtual Machines. There's something for everyone.

SteveT

Steve Litt
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive