[ale] How old is this list?

jonhall80 at comcast.net jonhall80 at comcast.net
Tue Feb 2 20:32:46 EST 2021

>I'm very glad maddog gave that alpha to Linus!

Well, I should point out that it was actually DEC that gave the Alpha to Linus...I just "facilitated" it.....long story....good over beers.

After I started that project going I found an engineering group in Digital Semiconductor that consisted of people like Andy Riebs, Jim Paradis, David Rusling and a few more that had, independent of me, chosen GNU/Linux as an OS to port after looking at SCO, BSD and a couple others.

They were working by themselves, but only doing a 32-bit port, not taking advantage of the 64-bit address space, only the speed of the Alpha and its ability to move data.   They thought that even if they did get the kernel and libraries ported to the Alpha that it will be too much work to port all the rest of the 32-bit code to a 64-bit address space.

I knew that was a misconception, since all of the GNU code (compilers, utilities, libraries, etc.) had ALREADY been made 64-bit clean, because that port had already been done for DEC OSF/1 Alpha.

I went to their offices and yelled....er...ah...discussed this with them, so they did an investigation, found out I was right (of course), tidied up their project (no one ever looked at it again) and joined the 64-bit port.

At the end of the port I wanted to make sure that it was a true 64 bit port, so I wrote email to Linus to confirm:

"Oh yes," Linus said, "I just did an mmap() for 5 TB into virtual address space."

"That is good enough," I said.

And it was then eleven years before Microsoft had a true 64-bit address space operating system, called "VISTA", which I always considered Microsoft's greatest gift to GNU/Linux.

md