[ale] [EXTERNAL] Linux on 6GB Dell notebook?

Jerald Sheets questy at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 09:56:07 EST 2021

We used to do a thing called “halted firewalls” which was busy box (Kernel + base binaries) and ipchains.  You would get it all set up and remove your K script for the final shut down of the OS and remove the network K script and the ipchains K script.  The chains would still be active and the network stack would still be running, but the firewall was unable to be compromised because it was, in effect, “halted”  No filesystems were mounted, and no login was presented, but there it was happily running along.

I think we did those in 100M (and smaller) drives.  This was circa RedHat 3/4, prior to RH AS and then RHEL.  Think 1996-8.

—j