[ale] Well, this is More Fun than I thought

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 08:52:24 EDT 2020

Heh!  Thanks for the thoughtful post!.   Yeh, concerns over numerous writes
was why I decided to leave my Swap partition on the spinning-rust side.  I
don't see a whole lot of use in /tmp on this machine, and with 60 gb I
think I am safe for a while even if I start getting bad sectors.   I mostly
brainlessly used LVM _because_ it's an extra level of abstraction, but you
right that in this case it probably didn't buy me a whole lot.  I have my
eye on that old 8 GB OS partition though. Once I am sure I'm not interested
in any part of it, I'll probably fold it into /home -- or I suppose I could
make it into a /tmp if I get paranoid.   Fortunately my Core I7 mobo with
an AMI 2010 bios has always had UEFI turned off.  Still seems fast enough
for Buster though.  And you right, it's definitely a faster boot.  Old
system took a minute to get from power-on to login screen.  This one clocks
in at under 30 seconds.

-- CHS