[ale] [OT] Building a home 'landline' using the cellular network

Joey Kelly joey at joeykelly.net
Fri Jan 24 15:02:46 EST 2020

On Sunday, January 05, 2020 06:58:54 PM Stephen R. Blevins via Ale wrote:
<snip>
> Typically, the POTS system works when the power is out.  Just a thought.

Not anymore. Once they run fiber to the neighborhood, they run out there and
put out small gas generators in a mocking attempt to keep the POTS crap that
runs to your house up when a hurricane comes through. In New Orleans (where
I'm pretty much from, and where I'm back to since June) power was out for 5
days a few years ago, and all you'd get from a landline was a nasty static.
Phones and DSL were both out until the power came back on.

--Joey

>  YMMV
>
> Stephen R. Blevins
> stephen.r.blevins at gmail.com
>
> On 1/5/20 4:03 PM, Robert Tweedy via Ale wrote:
> > Hi Ale,
> >
> > I'm entertaining an idea (currently months/years out on implementation,
> > should it turn out to be feasible) of trying to build a simple in-home
> > phone system that would run over a cellular network (specifically one of
> > the GSM networks like AT&T or T-Mobile, so that I could simply swap out
> > the SIM card should I ever want to change providers), and I was wondering
> > if anyone else here has tried to do this and could offer any pointers.>
> >>From what I've looked at so far, it looks like I'd need a GSM gateway or
> >>similar device to ultimately make the connection to the cellular network,
> >>along with a Linux system running something like Asterisk or FusionPBX
> >>and the associated cards/hardware to interface with the POTS wiring
> >>inside the house (just looking for a simple party-line style setup at the
> >>moment; no need to handle multiple extensions/numbers and no desire to
> >>buy expensive VoIP/business-class phones). Any suggestions on where to
> >>start with something like this, or any pitfalls that you may have
> >>experienced when setting up something like this yourself?>>
> > Thanks,
> > Robert

Joey Kelly
Minister of the Gospel and Linux Consultant
http://joeykelly.net
504-239-6550