[ale] Samba security

Todor Fassl fassl.tod at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 10:30:42 EST 2020

I am supporting an undergraduate research cluster. Undergrads can ssh
into the cluster and do mathematical research via Matlab, Mathematica,
Magma, Sage, etc. I think there are 9 different computational algebra
systems on the cluster plus python, gcc, etc. Anyway, most of the
students have been using ssh to log into the machines and then using
emacs or vi to write their code. A handful of students write the code on
their own computers and then scp it to the cluster. A few use and sshfs
client. I was thinking of installing samba so students who use Windows
could map a network drive.  I am not sure the ports would be open by a
typical ISP or on the campus firewall. But I might be able to make it
possible for a student with a laptop to sit in a campus library and
write code.

Is this a bad idea?

--
Todd