[ale] OT: Blocking Android app access over wifi

Lightner, Jeffrey JLightner at dsservices.com
Wed May 22 11:34:25 EDT 2019

What he said!

On one drive into Canada they made me give them my work laptop, my personal iPad and my cell phone along with passwords for each.   They held me up for around two hours.   It surprised me because I’d gone through multiple times before without them doing that.

Many programs or apps on your devices that access cloud or work (or other VPN) are based on other things (e.g. Active Directory for Windows, iCloud for Apple, Playstore for Android).   Make damn sure that you have separate passwords for cloud/vpn than you do for just logging into the device.   They can make a case for searching your devices but not for logging into remote sites from your devices.

In fact, it is a good idea to have separate passwords for all your online accounts anyway.   The first thing I did on return to the U.S. was reset all my passwords just because of the chance they might decrypt the encrypted file I had on my work laptop.

They might also check thumb drives or other media if you have them.   Canada suspected my keychain flashlight was a thumb drive.

P.S.  Federal courts in the U.S. have ruled against such random searches of electronics for U.S. citizens – U.S. Customs needs a warrant.   Other countries may not have such restrictions.   Also, if you use a fingerprint to unlock you device, disable that and use a password instead.  U.S. courts have ruled you can’t be compelled to give a password due to the Fifth amendment but can be compelled to do a finger swipe.
IANAL – Just mentioning things I’ve seen in the news.