[ale] Microtik vs Ubiquiti vs DIY router...go

Raj Wurttemberg rajaw at c64.us
Thu May 2 10:51:19 EDT 2019

So many router/firewall choices... I've used, Fortigate, SonicWall, Cisco, Watchguard, and pfSense to name a few.

IMHO, they are all really good and I have no complaints.  Watchguard had the best GUI, the SonicWall had some great features, Foritgate was decent, Cisco... well.. Cisco. 😉  I've switched to pfSense firewalls for home and business use. For business use, I'm using the Netgate hardware for pfSense, for home use, I'm using a generic small form factor or micro appliance like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Firewall-Micro-Appliance-With-4x-Gigabit-Intel-LAN-Ports-AES-NI-Barebone/253488710837

or this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Firewall-Micro-Appliance-6x-Gigabit-Intel-LAN-Intel-Celeron-E3865-AES-NI/253490496952

Strong processor (avoid the J1900 CPU units), AES-NI support, fan-less, Intel NICs.  Very capable and solid devices.

/Raj