[ale] Need to build a 2U system

Jeff Hubbs jhubbslist at att.net
Mon Mar 11 14:33:22 EDT 2019

My 32-bit Supermicro 1U server that ran for about 500 days straight in a
colo rack at QTS in Suwanee came from HL Computer near Stone Mountain,
oddly enough. I'm not sure why they had that; it was an open-box that
hadn't been used - not their usual fare. But I got it for cheap; it's on
its second power supply and it's been the house file server ever since
it came home.

I'm wanting to retire it and start using a different on-hand machine for
house file server. Since the case is still nice, I want to look into the
possibility of re-boarding it but in so doing, I'll probably have to
fabricate a new air duct; the CPU heatsink has no fan and can't have a
fan - it relies on air directed from fans elsewhere in the case.