[ale] SW root for Amazon Fire 8HD gen-7 possible

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 12:14:11 EST 2019

Hmm. There's a lot of discussion on that page, but I think this (
https://forum.xda-developers.com/hd8-hd10/orig-development/experimental-software-root-hd-8-hd-10-t3904595
) is the URL you really need.

This is great news.  The Amazon Fire tablet is wonderful hardware, and it's
really cheap -- like, $50 list and often discounted.  I rooted my 5th gen
Amazon tablet ( KFFOWI, the 7" model) after some struggle. After rooting, I
installed the Fire Nexus ROM (
https://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/orig-development/rom-fire-nexus-rom-lmy49f-t3300714
) and got out from under Amazon's draconian rule.  At the time there was no
way to change out the bootloader itself, so when the machine boots I still
get the amazon logo.  After that I'm free though.  It's a great little
device for lying on the couch surfing the web.  I could use my phone for
that, but the tablet's 7" screen is much more comfortable.

Alas, if I'm reading the threads right it looks like the newer Amazon
bootloaders  are locked (they do a checksum on the OS ), and so far there
doesn't seem to be a working unlocked substitute. So you get root, but you
can't replace Amazon's OS yet.  OTOH,  with root that should be coming
shortly.

<< obligatory discussion of why the laws that force you to run exploits
against your own devices are idiotic and disgraceful tactfully removed >>

-- CHS