[ale] State of play re home Internet with static IP

dev null zero two dev.null.02 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 10:14:26 EST 2019

I mean, I have a full sized rack in my apartment and 10 GbE fiber runs and
just mentioned I transfer 1-3 TB / day. I've been hosting services since
the days of writing ipchains rules (on Gentoo of course). I know a thing
about self-hosting and have the $250+/month 1 BR apartment electrical bills
to prove it :-)

my question specifically was around running your own email, which seems to
be more of a hassle with the overly aggressive blocklists like Spamhaus
requiring basically a fixer and a bribe to get your domain unlisted and the
low cost of reliable email services. learning DKIM, SPF, and DMARC are
useful skills and I understand the privacy angle a bit, though you can just
use GPG or another solution (DJ: this gmail address is used for throwaway
stuff). my biggest gripe with running your own email is if you are relying
on email for any sort of alerting (Icinga or other health monitoring for
instance), and your email server fails (you kick the laptop under your bed
when you get up to go to the bathroom at night etc.), you better have some
auxiliary way to get those alerts that your email server is down :-)

static IPs makes sense based on some of the explanations y'all have given,
specifically some site-to-site VPN solutions, though in my experience
"dynamic" IPs given from an ISP generally persist for months, if not years
unless the MAC address on your gateway changes - it is DHCP after all. and
in most cases, an FQDN can work just find in place of an IP.

we all have a resource limitation in our lives, usually it's either time or
money. so you have to prioritize what you spend either resource on. and
also what hill you're willing to die on :-)