[ale] State of play re home Internet with static IP

dev null zero two dev.null.02 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 20:34:18 EST 2019

or move :) I pay $76/mo for symmetrical gigabit internet with no caps from
a small, personable ISP. I regularly transfer 1-2 TB/day and never had an
issue.

any outages I experience, I call and get those days refunded.

On Mon, Mar 4, 2019 at 8:29 PM Stephen R. Blevins via Ale <ale at ale.org>
wrote:

> Consider checking out Atlantic-Nexus (ATNEX), 770-222-4455 or
> 866-462-8639.  They are an AT&T Business Uverse reseller consortium
> member, but they "assured" me they had more clout with AT&T tech
> support.  Been with this arrangement for over two years and I haven't
> had any problems traceable to AT&T (knock on wood), .... yet. YMMV,
> though.  Just a thought.
>
> Stephen R. Blevins
> stephen.r.blevins at gmail.com
>
> On 3/4/19 8:21 PM, Jeff Hubbs via Ale wrote:
> > On 3/4/19 7:52 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> >> I've had comcast business for years. It's solid service. Outages are
> >> caused by vehicles and storms wiping out poles with wires. They hustle
> >> pretty fast on repairs. They can't spell Linux but If you can
> >> translate into windows speak, it works. The tech support is quite
> >> knowledgeable and they really do want to help.
> >>
> >> It will be slower than residential service but it has no bandwidth
> >> limitations.
> > I'm pretty slow now - I think it's 12Mbps down and less up.
> >>
> >> With tmobile, you can add a phone number to an existing account and
> >> can ring on multiple devices running the app. No Linux app other than
> >> android. $10/m to stuff the old number to a virtual phone. Other
> >> providers may have similar. Tmobile calls it "digits".
> > Got no T-Mobile and I'm fine with keeping the cell phones on AT&T. We've
> > been grandfathered into unlimited data on those lines and we're holding
> > on to that with a death grip for as long as possible.
> >>
> >> The old 2 wire stuff from AT&T is too brittle.
> >>
> >> On March 4, 2019 7:24:54 PM EST, Jeff Hubbs via Ale <ale at ale.org>
> wrote:
> >>
> >>     After many years at the status quo (AT&T UVerse and POTS land
> >>     line) I'm finally looking into a rework of the home telecomm
> >>     situation.
> >>
> >>     I have two main drivers that are forcing the decision:
> >>
> >>      1. Even after the shortest of power outages, upstream UVerse
> >>         service goes dead and stays dead for 10-20 minutes. This was
> >>         not always the case but in the last few years it's been the
> >>         "new normal;" my wife works at home via VPN enough that that's
> >>         a problem, and it's no good for me either. Yes, I have UPSses
> >>         out the wazoo on everything and it doesn't matter. I've tried
> >>         to get through to AT&T by phone to at least get the problem
> >>         acknowledged but that's been impossible.
> >>      2. There's a good chance I might be leaving town for my next job
> >>         for an unknown amount of time, but that won't mean that I'll
> >>         stop being the "IT guy" for the house; I will simply *have* to
> >>         be able to shell in from the outside. If there is such a thing
> >>         as a "reflector" service that sits on the Internet - even if
> >>         it's my own server somewhere - that gives me a way to tunnel
> >>         in reverse through some kind of connection that's initiated
> >>         from inside the house, I don't want to be dependent on it.
> >>
> >>     Being able to run my own Internet-reachable web and email servers
> >>     in the house is anticipated but is secondary to those two main
> [...]
Sent from my mobile. Please excuse the brevity, spelling, and punctuation.