[ale] Best VPN for Edgerouter?

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Wed Jun 5 22:25:24 EDT 2019

I've got an edgerouter pro 8 and want to set up a VPN for when I am away.
I'd like to be able to access the VPN from my Linux box, iOS and Android.
I would like to get enough throughput to support Netflix or other streaming
media.  Upstream is gigabit fiber so really it's going to be the edgerouter
and VPN tech that limits me.
I feel my options are pptp, l2tp/ipsec, and openvpn.  Each option has
plusses and minuses. I think pptp is probably not secure enough.  L2tp has
double encapsulation and might be too easy to block when traveling.  And
openvpn needs a lot of extra config and might be slower (or so I've read).
What would you all use, and why?

-derek
Sent using my mobile device. Please excuse any typos.