[ale] keeping Evolution/Godaddy mailbox contents before they disappear?

Horkan Smith ale at horkan.net
Sat Jan 19 14:10:44 EST 2019

I'd be surprised if Evolution doesn't have it locally, but just in case...

Take a look at fetchmail and see if it'll meet your needs.

I used to run this manually whenever I wanted to grab email from yahoo:

get_yahoo_mail_and_delete_from_server:
fetchmail -v -a -m "/usr/bin/procmail -d %T" -p pop3 -u mynameonyahoo pop.mail.yahoo.com

Caution: it's been a long time since I've used it, so beware - the command options may have changed.
Note that my command line above *DOES* delete the original, which probably isn't what you want!
I *think* you add a '-k' to keep the email on the server, but check the man page.

Caution 2: this depends on you having a local mail system that works.  There may be a way to work around that by tweaking the delivery agent.

Caution 3: of course, I was using POP3, but it has IMAP options too.

fetchmail is really intended to be used from a config file as a daemon, but this matched what I wanted to do a little better at the time.

later!
   horkan