[ale] Linux 5.0 File-System Benchmarks: Btrfs vs. EXT4 vs. F2FS vs. XFS

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Thu Jan 10 08:04:27 EST 2019

In the old days, we were taught to use RAID10 with at least 4 drive
stripes to get 80% of the possible performance improvements.  If you
needed more drives, get the DBA and storage teams to work out a way to
get 16-way RAID10, though it will be a hassle for any future maintenance
and doesn't provide nearly as much added performance as the initial
4-way striping does.  Don't use RAID5 with databases or very large disks
(2TB+).

If you never need to reduce the file systems, only grow it, then XFS is
the only choice besides ZFS.  Very few projects will ever outgrow EXT4
size limits.  You are "special", Jim.  Whenever I've worked large
storage projects, we partitioned the data for both speed and
maintainability reasons.  Having 1 huge file system seems more
convenient, but often it isn't long-term.  The added hassles of storage
management at that scale (and chance of total deletion, cough) often
outweigh the simplistic architecture that non-computer people want.

BTRFS lies both to df and du. The only way to get accurate data is to
use btrfs-specific tools. Many people don't mind that, but many people do.

</soapbox>