[ale] My experiences switching GoDaddy to GreenGeeks

DJ-Pfulio djpfulio at jdpfu.com
Tue Feb 26 16:17:33 EST 2019

I have a few simple rules about running websites.

* Keep the Registrar separate from the DNS and hosting.
* Keep the DNS separate from the Registrar and hosting.
* Keep the hosting separate from the DNS and Registrar.
* Don't let php web-apps be available directly over the internet.
* Stay patched, stay on supported software.
* Don't use commercial DBMSes (many more similar rules, but I don't want to name
companies here).

Simple, effective.  I know many people will disagree on all or a few of my "rules."

With all that said, I've been with GoDaddy as a Registrar for over 20 yrs for
some legacy domains. I renew 10 yrs at a time, so once every 10 yrs, 15 minutes
of hassle. I'm planning to move the registrations this year and will begin 6
months before the deadline. I've heard horror stories about getting domains
moved off godaddy, but those were mainly all-in-one bundles.  Unless they have a
50% coupon, which seems to happen when it it time to re-up.