[ale] [OT] Silkscreening

Michael Martin mcm30114 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 10:21:02 EST 2019

Jeff,

Cricut disclaimer — got the wife a MAKER model for Christmas and we’re still learning about it ourselves. Seems to be a very capable machine. Can cut designs from jpgs, Pngs, and SVGs with no issues (that I’ve seen)

Given the material restrictions with sheet vynil, you can get lettering pretty small ( my imperial mind can’t fathom 3.5mm right now — between 1/4” and 1/8”?) however, there are the typical demons that all graphics designers have to deal with - font weight, stroke thickness, kerning, etc.

The Oracal 651 vynil is supposed to be pretty hardy, but I’m not sure how well it will hold up to being sliced thinly.  Using the vynil as a stencil template may be an option. Then again, if you get in front of a Cricut and have time to futz around with it, you may find that the vynil lettering will actually do you just fine

Good luck and keep us posted

Giant Mike

Sent from my iPhone