[ale] Raspian 10, QT 5, OpenGL, Pianobooster Development

H P Ladds householdwords at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 17:17:32 EDT 2019

I'm hoping to attend the August 18th NW Weekly Session in hopes of
receiving help with a problematic install of a development version of
Pianobooster on to a Raspberry Pi 4.  The issues are detailed here:
https://github.com/captnfab/PianoBooster/issues/196

Is a Raspberry Pi considered a verboten "Desktop" for the meeting?  There
is no avoiding the need for access to a power outlet, and I'm hoping to
bring a small freestanding screen. The whole kit will take up a bit more
space than a full sized laptop, but truly not much.

I'm reaching out to the ALE community because there is scant and suspect
information regarding Pianobooster and Raspbian 10. Such as:

1) Programs not updated from QT4 to QT5 will be deprecated from the Debian
10 Repositories. This seems untrue to me -- well not for the near term
anyway, but how does one learn the answer?

2) Is Raspbian 10 running OpenGLor OpenGLES?
The discussions imply OpenGLES
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=243892

But the Raspbian 10  release announcement
<https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/buster-the-new-version-of-raspbian/>
implies otherwise:

"... one of the important new features of Raspberry Pi 4 is that the
open-source OpenGL video driver is now being used by default, and this was
developed using the most recent version of Debian."

It sounds like Pi 4's extra processing power allows for the full version of
OpenGL, Debian wouldn't use the lightweight OpenGL version -- would it? Or
does OpenGL primarily use graphics processors and the increased CPU power
is not all that helpful OpenGL?

3) No need for X11 on Rasp Pi 4?  Really -- what generates the windows then?

4) Compiling from source code is causing me to have dependency vexation.

Thanks,
Preston Ladds