[ale] Somewhat on Topic: Linux/cPanel Spam Assassin Filters - got to be a better way....

Joey Kelly joey at joeykelly.net
Tue Aug 13 13:21:41 EDT 2019

On Tuesday, August 13, 2019 10:54:55 AM Neal Rhodes via Ale wrote:
> So, it's my impression that moving my linux/email hosting from GoDaddy
> to GreenGeeks has resulted in less effective spam control.

I am unfamiliar with GreenGeeks. Do they provide you with a VPS? Can you
install stuff on it? I've had boatloads of success with greylisting.

Spamassassin, amavisd, blocking suspect .TLDs and other tricks are also
effective, but I've been doing this for almost 20 years, so...

--Joey

> The basic Spam Assassin appears to be fooled by more subtle commercial
> Email Chimp programs.  In my cPanel
> Global Email Filters, I have about 30 Filters at present that do a
> fairly decent job.
>
> Here is the kind of stuff that gets through:
>
>          terminix_mosquito_control at resolutionmodels.com
>          terminix-mosquito-control at resolutionmodels.com
>          terminixmosquitocontrol at resolutionmodels.com
>
>          timesharefreedom at cs15.net
>          timeshare-freedom at cs15.net
>          timeshare_freedom at cs15.net
>
>          liberty_mutual_insurance at certainlyimportant.com
>          lifeinsurancenet.info at rationalguidingspirit.com
>
> These use an ever-rotating set of apparently legitimate domain names,
> and the rest of the sender address evolves a bit too.
>
> Sometimes I can filter based on subject.  The spam engines appear to
> have evolved to create emails that look legitimate to Spam Assassin.
>
> I can filter for "From contains liberty" and "From contains mutual" and
> "From contains insurance".  But at
> some point I'm spending 30 minutes each day writing new filters.
>
> What would make far more sense is something that can read my junk folder
> contents for the day, which has emails I have decided are junk, and
> knowing the patterns this stuff uses, make up a file of additional
> cPanel filters.  Then if there was an import, bam.  Done.
>
> BTW, the server is running Linux blah-blah
> 3.10.0-962.3.2.lve1.5.24.8.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Jan 4 06:55:54 EST 2019
> x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> regards,
>

> Neal

Joey Kelly
Minister of the Gospel and Linux Consultant
http://joeykelly.net
504-239-6550