[ale] VLANs and logging

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 07:59:03 EDT 2019

So you have a manageable switch that does vlans. Ports are assigned to specific vlans ids. To bridge vlans requires either vlan combination at a port or an external device like a multi homed server.

For small locations like homes with under 20k devices, it's easier to use literal private networks. Guest network is one class C, phones get another, iot another, etc. Use the dhcp server as the bridge/firewall/router between all. Assign fixed IPs by mac in the dhcp for servers, printers, and such, and dynamic for everything else based on which nic port the request arrives on at the dhcp server.

On April 16, 2019 11:47:28 PM EDT, Alex Carver via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>I'm playing around with the idea of splitting a few things at home into
>VLANs.  This would include one VLAN for phones, another for the general
>computers, a third for IoT devices, a guest network, and one for the
>video cameras.
>
>The problem I'm trying to figure out is how to set things up so that
>the
>devices with configurable syslogs (in this case phones, computers,
>cameras) send their logs to my central logging server, allow the
>devices
>to pick up their DHCP leases from the central DHCP server, and still
>have the ability to reach the admin consoles for things like the phones
>and cameras.

Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. All tyopes are thumb related and reflect authenticity.