[ale] KVM Storage - Seeking advice

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 12:40:06 EDT 2019

On Fri, 2019-04-12 at 11:04 -0400, DJ-Pfulio via Ale wrote:
 They've never failed in all these
> years.
Congrats on adding the kiss of death to your new VM hosting process.
The sysadmin overhead of each VM on it's own LV is minimal. Its
especially useful if more space is needed to be added to a VM.
The LVM snapshot is easier to do that inner VM backups but provides far
less control over restores than the other - all or none vs. all or any.
I've provisioned things with Thin LV but never used the capabilities so
I don't do that any more. The large VM hosting setup at work uses Ovirt
to manage the libvirt/KVM and the underlying storage is handled by
gluster (we must have the hot motion redundancy). This is a 4 node
hosting setup with 256GB RAM in each node.

For a single host setup, gluster makes no sense. But multiple disks in
a replicated LV does make sense.
--
James P. Kinney III

own tail. It won't fatten the dog.